photos:
doing biology things!
DNA extraction
I love this place.
Hubble IMAX movie
hanging out in the mars part of the museum :)
spirograph robots!
rocket launch at Homer Hickam launch pad!
quick stop in HAB 1!
"I remember this rock, it was my favorite one" - Alan Bean, Apollo 12
size: J. YOUNG
(I freaking love John Young)
Size Ken Mattingly.
hopeful for our lander...
not so much. RIP Eggstronaut
Dan Oates, talking about SCIVIS, a Space Camp program for visually impaired students.
HOMER freaking HICKAM.
graduation!
dancing on the moon
goodnight
I can't believe this week went so fast, but it did, and now it's over.
Tuesday (even though I don't really know without looking at the schedule because the days all blend together) we did a fruit DNA extraction lab, hung around checking out some rockets and the SaturnV center, took our team photo, and watched the Hubble IMAX movie. Even though I've seen Hubble over 20 times (and that's probably a low end estimate) I still love watching it every single time... especially with people who have never seen it before. I got a chance to see Charity and pick up my Huntsville swag bag that I won from the Madison County tourism folks awhile back, and it filled up my suitcase even more...but now I have a really cute Huntsville lunch box :) We also participated in a lunar base challenge which was pretty fun and I'm definitely going to attempt it with my students. Each team got a different set of requirements to build something on the moon (medical, observatory, hotel, mining... we had a launch facility), a budget, and a little bit of time to do it. Then we all had to present to each other and as always with team Columbus... a bit of hilarity ensued.
Yesterday (Wednesday) we did a few more activities like that one including the lunar lander (RIP egg) and rover (it would have been a good one!) and ECLSS- Environmental Control and Life Support Systems where we had to filter water that looked DISGUSTING at the beginning. We later learned it was a mix of dryer lint, vinegar, food coloring, glitter and some other things...ew. But our group's looked pretty good, and we all took a sip at the end. (We promptly ran back to the table and all took a drink from my diet coke, but I don't think anyone was watching.)
We spent a little time roaming around the Davidson Center and there is a LOT of Apollo 16 John Young stuff there. The space suit sizes are actually labeled with each astronaut's name because they're custom made. I tried on Ken Mattingly sized gloves, and was able to look inside a size: John Young space suit. The CM from Apollo 16 is there too :)
Probably the highlight of space camp for me though was getting to listen to Homer Hickam speak about October Sky, his new books, and all kinds of NASA things. I haven't read Crater or Crescent yet, but they're next on my summer reading list! We all got a signed copy of Rocket Boys, but the best thing was that he totally gave me a shout out during his presentation. We had been tweeting earlier in the day, and the day before... but my team members were greatly amused because I may have freaked out a tiny bit (ok, a LOT). We did get a team photo with him, but I've yet to see it, so I really hope it turned out :)
We graduated last night, then had dinner under the SaturnV, next to a CM that went to the moon with John Young inside, by a size John Young suit and an actual John Young suit. What was probably my favorite part of the night though was the fact that we all were dancing on the moon... it was painted on the floor.... but it's still really fun a to think we were dancing on the moon :)
I'll be posting actual photos from my camera when I get home. I didn't take too many because the Honeywell people were following us around almost all the time, and I really wanted to enjoy the experience and the people without having my face behind a camera too much. Almost all of the photos I've posted here and on facebook so far are from my phone. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to get the good ones posted somewhere where everyone can see.
Like the last time I was here, I think the best part about the whole experience was the team. I hope that we stay in touch better than the last team I had... I looked most of the people from the Gagarin class of 2000 a while back on facebook when I found my space camp journal, but I didn't add them. I think I may do that when I get home just to see where they all ended up. My team was fantastic, my team leader was fantastic, and this whole week was more fun than I ever could have imagined it would be. I love it here, and if you're a math or science teacher you absolutely need to apply next year: http://educators.honeywell.com/ it will be the best professional development you ever experience. Honeywell and all of the people at Space Camp were more than good to us, and I hope that maybe next year I can figure out a way to get back again. Anywhere where there are SaturnVs and lots of nerds feels like home :)
Off to the airport soon... back to work at my other home at Kennedy tomorrow!
in tweets:


















danielle miller
HON_Citizenship
2013 Astronaut Class
No comments:
Post a Comment