Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 9 - NITARP and AAS, day 4


My last day at AAS was not as hectic as the past three, for sure. I made sure to sit down with the Kepler Exoplanet Data that my team will be using to be sure I knew what I was doing while I could still ask questions of my mentor teacher and the scientists. The day started with a session on the solar system, and although it was in a huge room, there probably weren’t any more than 30-40 people there. I guess our Solar System doesn’t seem so cool anymore now that there are exoplanets just about everywhere you look.  Part of the “homework” assignment for my team was to look for light curves, and there were some in the Solar System talks this morning, in a presentation about Kuiper Belt objects. I also heard from scientists who study comets, and then I ran to a different room to hear from a NASA scientist about their Education and Public outreach portfolio. I haven’t been able to look into everything yet, but I did want to mention NASA Wavelength ( http://nasawavelength.org/ ) a place to go for education resources. As an educator who loves NASA resources I frequently find it overwhelming to find exactly what I’m looking for. This site is very well organized, even though it doesn’t have nearly as many resources as some other places. I also found out that Eyes on EXOPLANETS is available! Check out http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/exoplanets/. My students and I love Eyes on the Solar System and now there’s a brand new program that is similar to it, except it allows you to see artist renditions of cataloged exoplanets. (And it’s in 3D too!) 

I roamed around the exhibit hall for a bit to find some more posters with light curves, then attended my first Town Hall meeting about the James Webb Space Telescope.  I expected a town hall to be a bit more intense than this one was, but I thought it was very positive. Though I wasn’t at the NASA town hall yesterday, but the way the presenters mentioned it made it seem to me the discussion in that meeting did get a bit heated. There were three presenters and the first was Eric Smith who spoke about the telescope and timeline for the mission. He showed us a chart with the number of milestones for each year. In 2011, there were 21 milestones, and all 21 were met. in 2012, there were 37 milestones, 34 were met and 3 were pushed to this year. In 2013 there are 41 planned milestones, 10 (!!) of which are already complete! He also spoke a little bit about all the cryo tests that will start soon. Randy Kimble who spoke more in depth about all the ridiculous tests JWST will be going through all the way up to launch in 2018. What I thought was cool was that NASA modified an old Apollo cryo test chamber at Johnson to fit JWST. Lastly, Dr. Mike Brown (the @plutokiller himself!) talked about how we know very little about the outer solar system and James Webb can help us figure out much more when it comes to unanswered questions. The Kuiper Belt is a funky place for sure.

For my last session, I attended Advocating for Astronomy, a session about how to promote science in our government the right way. The four person panel was led by one of the media people from AAS and had 3 others with experience advocating and promoting science in Washington DC. One of the things they all agreed on was that scientists are not exactly the best at communicating their own work and their needs to the people who make the decisions. We were shown a chart of constituent calls, letters and visits (recorded by one of the panelists) and the numbers were just sad. When it came to calls about space, there were about 1 per year, science in general, only 1 per month. Meanwhile, issues like Social Security and Medicare got about 5 per day. If you’re interested in getting really involved, check out http://setcvd.org/ and go visit some congress people! Also, check out http://fellowships.aaas.org/ for fellowship opportunities.  If you aren’t looking for something quite that intense, just know how to be a better, (nicely) outspoken constituent. Understand that congressional staffers are young but educated (but probably not in science), handling a lot of issues at one time, working very hard, and want to help you if it’s possible. You should know before calling/emailing/writing/visiting what you’re asking for and what law/policy you’re talking about.  All of the speakers made it a point to say there’s a lot of noise coming from a lot of different people, but if you have a clear message and purpose, you’re definitely going to be heard.

One thing that happened during this experience – which also happened at my NASA explorer schools summer research experience – is that I helped 2 (maybe more) teachers get twitter accounts! I really believe that my teaching has improved since I started tweeting, and I also believe that my love for NASA was rekindled because of it too. Once you really understand how twitter works and you follow the right people and chats, the conversations you have can absolutely change how you think and learn for the better. Though I’m not totally a twitter expert (I always go over 140 characters and frequently forget to cite my sources) I do think it’s a great tool for education. Sometimes for exit slips, I have the students “tweet” their answers, because I think if you can explain something well in just 140 characters, you really understand the concept. If you’re an educator and thinking about twitter, check out this livebinder, by one of the educators I follow on twitter! http://www.livebinders.com/play/play/34291

 Now I’m packing up, getting a few hours of sleep and headed back to Florida bright and early! I’ve got to get some grading done and get ready for midterms next week. Thanks for following along with my AAS adventure!


in the lobby of my hotel 

No comments:

Post a Comment